Corporate Counsel – Tyler, TX
Corporate Counsel needed for in-house legal department. Must be service-oriented and demonstrate understanding of general principals of law with ability to support business objectives while identifying legal risks and parameters. Provides general legal counsel and support to a variety of company departments and affiliates to facilitate operations and legal compliance in a fast-paced environment. Position will report directly to the Vice President – Corporate Counsel, Secretary and will work closely with colleagues in the Legal Department and across multiple internal functional groups, as well as outside counsel.
- Provide day-to-day legal advice to all levels of the company and affiliate companies including senior management regarding contracts, real estate matters, litigation, intellectual property, advertising and marketing, information technology, compliance, governance, and other corporate matters.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide range of legal documents (e.g., various types of contracts, purchase agreements, service agreements, indemnity agreements, license agreements, leases, confidentiality agreements, amendments, and other commercial legal documents).
- Analyze and assist in the resolution of contractual and commercial disputes.
- Conduct research and interpretation of legal and regulatory requirements as well as industry practices, providing appropriate recommendations for decision makers.
- Manage trademark portfolio including conducting initial search and analysis for prospective marks.
- Assist with management of litigation and outside counsel including serving as internal liaison for discovery, subpoenas, claims analysis, and other litigation support.
- Support business development efforts by performing appropriate due diligence on new opportunities, drafting and reviewing transaction documents, and assisting in negotiations.
- Manage and organize general corporate documentation and governance.
- Assist in drafting, implementing, and updating corporate policies. Establish and maintain uniform corporate processes and procedures.
- Monitor the changing legal issues and legal environment affecting the company to assure that the company complies with applicable regulations and law at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Commitment to and willingness to promote the mission and values of Brookshire Grocery Company.
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an ABA accredited school of law.
- Five or more years of legal experience with a law firm and/or in-house; or an equivalent combination of experience and/or higher education required.
- Must be licensed to practice law in the state of Texas and in good standing.
- Litigation experience preferred.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently under time pressures and deadlines in a fast-paced environment with special attention to details while balancing multiple priorities.
- Ability to balance legal expertise and business judgment.
- Exceptional verbal, written, and listening communication skills including ability to confidently and effectively facilitate and present information in a corporate setting.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and ability to analyze and understand complex situations.
- Excellent legal drafting and negotiation skills.
- High level of integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality regarding sensitive information.
- Strong interpersonal skills including ability to develop and foster relationships with business colleagues and interact with people in a friendly, professional manner.
- Ability to occasionally travel to off-site and out-of-town locations with possible overnight stays.
- Intermediate or greater knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Access, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
Brookshire Grocery Company strives to provide a safe, drug free and alcohol-free environment for its partners and guests. The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, genetic information or military status.