If it hasn’t hit you yet, the inaugural FRESH15K race is just around the corner. If you’re a first-timer to a race such as this, don’t panic! I’m here to make race day easier for you with some information to keep in mind.
The first question that probably comes to mind is packet pick-up. Keep in mind that we strongly encourage you to pick up your packets prior to race day morning. If you must pick them up on race day, please arrive early. Participants must present a photo ID in order to receive their athlete packet and athlete bag. You must pick up your own athlete packet (which includes your event-issued bib number and timing device) at FRESH by Brookshire’s. Individuals will not be able to pick up Participant Packets on behalf of others.
Packet pick-up will be held at FRESH by Brookshire’s, located at 6991 Old Jacksonville Hwy, Tyler, TX, on the back patio. No packets will be mailed. Packet pick-up times are:
- Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2014 – 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Feb. 27, 2014 – 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Friday, Feb. 28, 2014 – 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- RACE DAY – 6:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.
Your packet will include the following: bib number and safety pins, gear check tag and fastener, timing device, FRESH15 participant running shirt and participant bag.
Another concern may be the issue of parking. Parking is located at various locations near FRESH by Brookshire’s. There will be limited parking on-site and around the store, so please arrive early and find a spot at one of the designated parking locations. We will have volunteers on-site to make sure parking is convenient and structured. We recommend carpooling in order to save space for additional participants, volunteers and spectators. If you are staying local, check to see if a shuttle service is available.
The race will start at 8AM and will end around 10:30AM. It is highly advised that you avoid certain streets during those times. A number of roads will be impacted on race morning. Please note the following changes in vehicular traffic:
- Old Jacksonville Hwy and Oak Hill Blvd. closed from 7:45 a.m. to 8:20 a.m.
- Old Jacksonville Hwy and Hollywest Dr. closed from 7:45 a.m. to 8:20 a.m.
- Old Jacksonville Hwy and Dueling Oaks Dr. closed off and on from 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
Highly Congested Streets
- Gleneagles Dr. to Grande Blvd.
- Grande Blvd. to Hollytree Dr.
- Hollytree Dr. to Rice Rd.
- Rice Rd. to Old Bullard Rd.
- Rice Rd. to Broadway Ave.
- Broadway Ave. to Rieck Rd.
- Rieck Rd. to Old Bullard Rd.
- Old Bullard Rd. to Old Grande Blvd.
- Old Grande Blvd.
- Grande Blvd to Hollytree Dr.
- Several streets along Hollytree Dr. inside Hollytree
After the awards ceremony, all participants, as well as family members and friends, are invited to the post-race concert sponsored by Peltier Subaru and Nature’s Own, which will feature headlining entertainer Curtis Grimes. Curtis will not only be performing but will also be running the 5k race prior to the concert!
On behalf of FRESH and Brookshire Grocery Company, we appreciate those who have donated their time and effort for an amazing cause. We look forward to a great race and cheers to more in the future.