Everyone starts with the best intentions: to slim down, tone up or just get healthier. But beginning a new workout plan after a break can be brutal, especially when weight training is involved. Extreme muscle soreness is quite common and can be a big roadblock in the way of success. There are ways around it, though, and we’re here to share them with you!
Whey protein is one of the most effective ways to avoid serious soreness and rebuild muscle quickly. Here’s why:
1. It’s complete! Whey protein contains all nine essential amino acids our bodies do not make on their own. These amino acids are crucial for tissue building and repair. This is especially true during strenuous training! Complete proteins are best utilized by the body and will be taken up for use by the cell quicker and more effectively than non-essential proteins.
2. It’s branched! More specifically, whey protein contains all three branched-chain amino acids, leucine, isoleucine and valine. Known for decreasing the rate of tissue breakdown, while increasing the rate of protein synthesis, branched chain amino acids are liquid gold! They will go to work at rest or during a workout and really reduce the chance of soreness. BCAA’s are also beneficial for many other body processes.
3. It fills you up! Whey protein is very filling. A post-workout recovery shake can also serve as a meal or snack, and it’ll keep you from snacking your way to calorie overload.
Here at FRESH, we carry some great lines of whey protein. Here’s a short list of our most popular brands:
• Designer’s Whey. This is our best-selling line of protein powder. With several flavors and a 100 calorie version, there’s something for just about everyone. Designer’s Whey comes in two sizes: small and large.
• Tera’s Whey. If you’re all about avoiding rBGH (a growth hormone frequently given to dairy cows), low sugar, and great flavor, this is the protein for you. Free of rBGH and sweetened with stevia, Tera’s Whey is a clean protein with great flavors like bourbon vanilla, dark chocolate and blueberry. It’s available in packets (at checkstands) and canisters (in the Wellness Department).
• Spiru-Tein Whey. Packed with added vitamins and minerals, Spiru-Tein is a great way to start the day. Available in packets and canisters, and in strawberry, chocolate and vanilla.
Here’s a FRESH idea! Come by FRESH after a workout! Our refresh bar will be happy to make you a protein shake with any varieties that come in a packet. Shakes can be prepared with almond, soy or dairy milk, and they’re delicious!
Categories: Health and Wellness, Healthy Living
Facebook: Did you know that whey protein is one of the most effective ways to avoid serious soreness and rebuild muscle quickly? Check it out!