It’s not easy being green – but we did it! FRESH has received LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council, a non-profit group that recognizes outstanding accomplishments in sustainable, environmentally friendly construction and design.
FRESH is the first grocery store in our area to meet the stringent standards that go along with being LEED certified. LEED stands for “Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design”, and getting this recognition means that a building has been designed, built, and is operated in a way that reduces energy use, limits waste, and conserves water.
This is important to us at FRESH, because we’re part of the community. We designed and run FRESH in a way that uses our community resources wisely – while still creating a great, fun, affordable shopping experience.
And what that means to you is that many of our innovative, energy-savings ideas occur behind the scenes, or in ways that gently impact our guests. For instance:
- Have you admired the many native plants in our landscaping? Our water-efficient landscaping reduces irrigation demands by 50 percent over a baseline landscape. We even collect much of our irrigation water in a cistern that stores rainwater.
- When you stroll down the frozen aisles, you may notice the lights switch on just as you pass by. That’s because they’re equipped with motion detector technology, which shuts off unneeded lights and optimizes energy performance.
- Do you like to recycle? So do we! We designed a recycling collection and storage system that fits seamlessly in our stores, both in public areas and in our own work and storage areas. Plus, an amazing 98 percent of our construction waste was diverted from the landfill – a statistic that is considered exemplary by LEED standards.
- We want to be good neighbors: To reduce “light pollution” to our neighbors, we used LED exterior lighting. Our outdoor “green space” exceeds local zoning requirements by 25 percent, to give our guests a more natural setting. And we created preferred parking spaces for our guests who drive fuel-efficient vehicles.
- Breathe easier: We designed our building with increased ventilation and low-emitting materials, in order to provide improved indoor air quality.