At FRESH, we love local food, but we also love celebrating the great tastes that have come to us from around the world: French cheeses. Italian pastas and olive oils. Pastries, breads and specialties popular in all corners of the globe.
So what better way to show our appreciation than by throwing a world-food party? Starting Wednesday, we’re hosting a store-wide Global Flavors Fest. Through Oct. 16, FRESH will be hosting chefs who will demonstrate how to cook some international favorites; introducing new chef-prepared dishes from France, Italy and beyond; and bringing an international flavor to our weekly live-music series.
Food Fight: Get a ring side seat at the ultimate FRESH Chef Food Fight! We’re pitting top cuisines of Europe against each other, and you get to pick which reigns supreme. For the next two weekends, we’ll turn some top guest chefs and our own FRESH chefs loose in our FRESH Taste Kitchen to prepare a favorite dish from their country of choice. You get to taste – and judge. We’ll tally up the points you award on taste, appearance and originality, and crown a winning dish, and chef, each weekend!
Chef-prepared winners: Not to be left out, our team of FRESH chefs have developed their take on several classic flavors, and they’ll be debuting these dishes in our chef-prepared case during the festival. Here are some highlights:
- France: Coq au Vin (chicken in wine sauce); Ratatouille (stewed vegetable casserole traditional in Provence); Gratin Dauphinois (au gratin potatoes)
- UK: Shepherd’s Pie (seasoned ground meat, veggies and a mashed-potato crust)
- Italy: Pasta Puttanesca, Arancini (fried risotto stuffed with mozzarella)
- Germany: Braised Red Cabbage, Jagerschnitzel (traditional hunter’s dish of a tender breaded cutlet, with mushroom gravy)
Global happy hours: Our Wednesday Happy Hour goes international! This week, hop across the pond for a British invasion, complete with black-and-tans to drink and miniature shepherd’s pies. Next Wednesday, it’s on to Spain, for sangria and some stylish tapas.
Music with a world beat: Even our music series will cover the globe, with musicians have a Musical interlude:
- Friday 10/7 Señor Gringos – Latin Jazz. Tyler’s own Latin jazz band plays originals, plus covers of songs by artists like Marc Antoine, Oscar Lopez and Ottmar Liebert.
- Saturday 10/8 Austin Cajun Aces – French Cajun . From Austin, Cajun Aces play upbeat, authentic Cajun and Creole Masters tunes. You are sure to “Pass a Good Time” when you come out and enjoy their music.
- Friday 10/14 Island Boogie – Caribbean/Steel Drum Band. Just like being in the islands, this festive band crosses the spectrum of Caribbean music, from calypso to reggae to salsa.
- Saturday 10/15 Beyond the Pale – East European Folk/Celtic. You’ve never heard any band quite like this one; a blend of traditional and contemporary songs that includes fiery reels and jigs, original songs, music with a Celtic twist, and influences that range from Mexican polkas to Scandinavian tunes to Texas Swing.
Posted in: A FRESH Point of View, Chef Prepared, International, Store Events